ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR of MEDIA RELATIONS AND STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS
Director of Development & External Relations
Full Time, Exempt
Association’s Mission:To lead and position community clinics, health centers and networks through advocacy, education, and services as key players in the health care delivery system to improve the health status of their communities.
Purpose of Position: Support the California Primary Care Association’s strategic communications efforts in the areas of member engagement, programs and services, policy and government affairs, among others. Key areas of work will include external communications, media relations, content development and copyediting.
1. Support the Association with proactive media relations, which includes media pitching, writing, research, preparing spokespeople, building relationships with statewide media and the development of press releases, opinion articles, letters to the editor, and other media-facing materials.
2. Provide the Association with strategic communications support, which may include the development of audience-specific messaging, talking points, collateral and crisis communication plans.
3. Support the Association with internal and external communication development, which may include e-communications, newsletters, blogs, vlogs, podcasts, videos, publications, and other copywriting.
4. Support the advocacy strategy of the Association and its affiliate organization, CaliforniaHealth+ Advocates, which seeks to influence state and federal public policy through the mobilization of community health centers advocates.
5. Provide support to our health center members and regional consortia partners to strengthen statewide communication efforts.
6. Coordinate information including compiling and editing articles for updates, posting updates and information on our website and other communications platforms.
7. Provide ongoing communication support to the Association’s senior leadership, which may include the development of correspondence, speech writing, presentations, fact sheets, and visuals.
8. Work closely with the Assistant Director of Communications and Marketing and the Senior Coordinator of Social Media to coordinate communications efforts and influence the Association’s overall communications strategy.
Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Support the development and delivery of projects, programs and technical assistance, which improve the efficiencies of health centers activities.
2. Learn specific areas of content and serve as a resource in order to provide accurate and timely technical assistance.
3. Supervise, train and evaluate assigned staff.
4. Assist with grant and budget management, contract development and reporting.
5. Serve as lead staff to designated peer networks, work groups, task forces and committees.
6. Strong presentation and written communication skills.
7. Effective interpersonal and professional skills when engaging with Association membership and Board of Directors, vendors and partners.
8. Work collaboratively with multi departmental teams.
9. Proficiency in Microsoft Office and web based applications and platforms.
10. Solid problem solving, critical thinking, organization and time management.
1. Support the Association’s Strategic Plan.
2. Attends and participates in required Association meetings.
3. Reports regularly to supervisor.
4. Participates in CPCA events and represents the Association as requested to include state and national events.
5. Travel for national and regional meetings, training and site visits by air and ground transportation.
6. Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree required. Minimum five years program or project management, or equivalent experience. Experience with community health centers, member-driven associations or non-profit organizations is also preferred. Relevant experience may be considered in lieu of degree requirement.
Salary: $76,729 + Excellent benefits
To Apply: Submit cover letter indicating where you heard about this position, resume, and professional references in MS Word format to firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX 916-440-8172.
We strive for our workforce to represent California’s diverse population including capabilities, culture, language, experience, and socio-economic background, while also meeting the highest standards and qualifications of our industry.